1% For the Wild
Giving Back: A Core Part of Our Business
What is 1% For the Wild?
At Sitka Salmon Shares, we know that our company depends on the health of Alaska’s wild fisheries, marine ecosystems, and fishing communities. That’s why each year Sitka Salmon Shares returns 1% of the company’s gross revenue (that’s revenue—not profits!) back to fishery conservation, habitat protection, and efforts to strengthen local communities and food systems.
This commitment stems from our company’s broader goal to build a values-based seafood movement in the United States. When you subscribe to Sitka Salmon Shares you are supporting causes that work to enhance the social, ecological, and cultural fabric of our coastal communities.
Karl Jordan, F/V Samara, distributes fish donations to Sitka school families. Photo by Caitlin Fondell.
Edith Johnson holds a tray of coho salmon donated by Sitka Salmon Shares to Sitka Mutual Aid. Photo by Bethany Sonsini Goodrich.
- Fishery conservation and habitat protection efforts in Alaska with a focus on the major threats of climate change and ocean acidification
- Promoting sustainability, well-being, and resilience in coastal communities
- Ensuring the vitality of small-scale fishing fleets and building a values-based seafood movement in the United States
Organizations we’ve supported:
- Alaska Food Policy Council
- Alaska Marine Conservation Council
- Alaska Ocean Acidification Network (via the Alaska Ocean Observing System)
- Alaska Longline Fishermen’s Association
- Alaska Trollers Association
- ArtChange, Inc.
- Audubon Alaska
- FairShare CSA Coalition
- Fish Talk
- KCAW/Raven Radio (Sitka Local Public Radio)
- Last Man Fishing
- Local Catch Network
- Northwest Atlantic Marine Alliance
- REAP Food Group
- Sitka Mt. Edgecumbe Preschool
- Sitka Conservation Society
- Sitka Fish to Schools Program
- Sitka Homeless Coalition
- Sitka Local Foods Network
- Sitka Maritime Heritage Society
- Sitka Mutual Aid
- Sitka Sound Science Center
- Slow Fish USA
- Southeast Alaska Conservation Council
- Lingít Language Learning Conference
- Understory: A Journey Into the Tongass
- UnitSitka Whalefested Fishermen of Alaska
- United Tribes of Bristol Bay
- Sitka Whalefest
Is your organization a potential fit for our 1% For the Wild Fund? Drop us a line by emailing email@example.com